Re: W3C should drop bespoke licenses, adopt CC0 + OWFa instead (was Re: HTML License Options for Discussion)

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 18:34:39 -0400
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Cc: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>
On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Leif Halvard Silli
> Another way to ensure comptetition is to ensure that anyone can enter
> the W3C space and start to write _their_ spec there.

That doesn't ensure competition if the things you're competing on are
specific to the W3C instead of specific to a particular editor or
Working Group.  For instance, the WHATWG has no real process for
overruling the editor, no spec milestones, and no notion of
membership.  Whether these are good or bad, there cannot be
competition on such points within the W3C, since the W3C wouldn't
allow a Working Group to do that.  If it really allowed Working Groups
to do absolutely anything they wanted, it would be a glorified
webhost, which I don't see happening anytime soon.