Re: Integrating with the <device> element

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 15:39:47 +0000 (UTC)
To: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010, Robin Berjon wrote:
> I am writing to you on behalf of the DAP WG. We're looking at
> integrating the functionality that we've been working on for our
> specifications with the <device> element. It could possibly be useful in
> a number of contexts, and Rich took at stab at seeing how it would
> integrate with the Contacts API.

It seems like the wrong level of abstraction for contacts. If you want to
reference resources, query them, add and remove them, etc, wouldn't a URL
scheme be more appropriate? That would also allow this to be properly
integrated with cloud contact services, which seem more likely to be what
users will use going forward.