Re: Putting limits on formatting element growth

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 18:14:06 +0200
To: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>, "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@iki.fi>
On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 14:54:14 +0200, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:

> Then there's the issue of whitespace-only text nodes uselessly
> reconstructing the list of active formatting elements. I think changing
> this would be potentially more disruptive in terms of the code and test
> cases involved. Also, making the most common tree builder mode ("in
> body") sensitive to space characters vs. non-space characters would be a
> performance problem if implemented naively not optimized properly (to go
> on the fast track once one non-space character has been seen until a
> non-character token is seen). Still, having seen a page like
> http://saintjohnchurchmiddletown.com/default.aspx (warning! may slow
> down your browsing considerably while loading) in the wild, I have to
> wonder if we still should change the spec not to reconstruct the list of
> active formatting elements on space characters.

I think this would be a good change. Old Gecko didn't reformat for line
breaks. When I suggested changing the spec before to not reformat for
whitespace, Hixie said the spec is as it is for compat, but didn't have a
list of URLs that would break.

It seems the above URL works fine in Opera but is considerably slower in
Firefox and Chrome with the HTML5 parser.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software