Re: Putting limits on formatting element growth

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 18:14:06 +0200
To: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>, "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@iki.fi>
On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 14:54:14 +0200, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:

> Then there's the issue of whitespace-only text nodes uselessly
> reconstructing the list of active formatting elements. I think changing
> this would be potentially more disruptive in terms of the code and test
> cases involved. Also, making the most common tree builder mode ("in
> body") sensitive to space characters vs. non-space characters would be a
> performance problem if implemented naively not optimized properly (to go
> on the fast track once one non-space character has been seen until a
> non-character token is seen). Still, having seen a page like
> http://saintjohnchurchmiddletown.com/default.aspx (warning! may slow
> down your browsing considerably while loading) in the wild, I have to
> wonder if we still should change the spec not to reconstruct the list of
> active formatting elements on space characters.

I think this would be a good change. Old Gecko didn't reformat for line
breaks. When I suggested changing the spec before to not reformat for
whitespace, Hixie said the spec is as it is for compat, but didn't have a
list of URLs that would break.

It seems the above URL works fine in Opera but is considerably slower in
Firefox and Chrome with the HTML5 parser.

Simon Pieters
Opera Software