Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-41

On Wed, 8 Sep 2010, Sam Ruby wrote:
> On 03/24/2010 02:57 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> >
> > ISSUE-41
> > ========
> >
> > SUMMARY
> > There is no problem and the proposed remedy is to change nothing.
>
> The chairs have reviewed this proposal, and determined that it does not meet
> the standards for a Change Proposal.
>
> This rationale does not address the use cases listed in the rationale
> described by the other two change proposals[1][2] on this topic.

So a proposal to _not_ change the spec has to cover all the use cases
covered by every other proposal, but a proposal to change the spec just
has to defend its change?

> Some position as to how these use cases can be addressed, or specifics
> on a case by case bases as to why one or more of these use cases should
> not be addressed, is warranted.

The whole point of the change proposal is that there are no relevant use
cases to address. I don't see why a change proposal saying there are no
use cases would have to explain why all the other use cases presented are
unimportant; isn't it the responsibility of the change proposals that
argue for use cases to say why they _aare_ important?

> Additionally, if there are cases where there are use cases that are not
> addressed, the impacts section needs to be updated to include these.
>
> The summary and proposal details sections were found to meet requirements.
>
> Be advised that if a revised change proposal addressing these issues is not
> provided by 22 September, there is a significant possibility that this
> proposal will be eliminated from further consideration.

I won't have time to update this by the above date as well as resolve the
bugs on the new schedule, so unless someone wants to take over this change
proposal, please assume I have retracted it.