Re: Report on testing of the link relations registry

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 13:48:54 -0700
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 02.09.2010 22:13, Aryeh Gregor wrote:

>> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Julian Reschke<julian.reschke@gmx.de>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I agree that some registries are not complete. I disagree that it's
>>> necessarily the IANA's fault. The SVG issue is a nice example for that.
>>
>> Whose fault it is is entirely irrelevant for our purposes.  If the
>> IANA registry were hard to use because its servers went down on a
>> monthly basis due to being struck by meteors because a former IANA
>> executive was the subject of a gypsy curse, it would still be hard to
>> use, and we would want to look for alternatives.  That it's not their
>> fault is no compensation for the fact that it doesn't work.
>
> It *does* work, but it requires people to actually attempt the registration,
> and potentially fix problems with the registration. That is a *feature*.

I guess we might have different definitions of "work". If the registry
does not match real world usage, then IMHO it doesn't work.

It can definitely be argued that the process failed at a point where
the responsibility was not in IANAs hands. However you can equally
argue that a different process would not have had the same problem and
thus it is the process which has failed.

Compare to how a company is run. If a company does poorly, the CEO is
held accountable, even though it could be that the reason the company
is doing poorly is that some of the workers haven't done all of the
tasks assigned to them.

/ Jonas