Re: UTF-16, UTF-16BE and UTF-16LE in HTML5

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 20:52:09 +0200, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org> wrote:

> HTML5 says:
> "If an HTML document does not start with a BOM, and if its encoding is
> not
> explicitly given by Content-Type metadata, and the document is not an
> iframe
> srcdoc document, then the character encoding used must be an
> ASCII-compatible character encoding..."
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/semantics.html#charset
>
> This rules out the use of UTF-16BE and UTF16-LE character encodings,
> since
> they should not start with a BOM.

My reading is that UTF-16BE adn UTF-16LE aren't ruled out, just that they
need to be specified with Content-Type. They could be discouraged (like
UTF-32) or banned (like UTF-7), but I don't have much of an opinion on the
matter.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software