Re: Adopting the media accessibility requirements

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 20:02:30 +0200, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
wrote:

> Some weeks ago, the HTML Accessibility Task Force presented a
> requirements document for media accessibility:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Aug/0327.html
>
> Since then, there has been some discussion and revisions in the Task
> Force, and not much discussion on the full WG list. At this point, if
> there are no further comments, the Chairs are prepared to call for
> consensus on this document and adopt it as the requirements document for
> media accessibility.

I tentatively object to adopting this requirements document. I've been
somewhat following its development in the TF and have left feedback on two
occasions.[1][2] The document purports to be a user requirements document,
but also contains lots of technical/implementation requirements quite far
removed from users, such as:

  (DV-9) Allow the author to use a codec which is optimised for voice only,
rather than requiring the same codec as the original soundtrack.

  (CA-4) Support pre-emphasis filters, pitch-shifting, and other
audio-processing algorithms.

  (DV-14) Support metadata, such as copyright information, usage rights,
language, etc.

  (CN-6) Support direct access to any structural element, possibly through
URIs.

However, even assuming a few more feedback rounds could improve the
document, how would we use this static list of requirements (ranging from
irrelevant to imperative for users) when discussing new spec/browser
features? Since the two groups involved here (browser implementors and
accessibility experts) have obvious issues communicating with each other,
it would be helpful if we were all involved in the discussions as they
happen, rather than communicating via requirements lists.

Also, I agree with what Henri wrote.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/44061/20080526_media-requirements/results
[2] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Talk:Media_Accessibility_Checklist

--