Re: W3C Spec Comments Form

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 12:45:47 -0700
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, public-html@w3.org
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>

On Oct 20, 2010, at 12:35 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

>> Could we either remove the W3C Spec comments form, or at least
>> specially flag anything submitted through it so that it requires some
>> degree of moderation before showing up in the bug tracker?
>
> I presume that you are referring to the WHATWG spec comments form? I.e., the one that appears at the bottom of
>
>  http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/
>
> But not here:
>
>  http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html

There's actually a new comment form in the Status of this Document section in the W3C copy. It's a different UI from the floating comment bar on the WHATWG copy. According to Tab, the W3C spec's form is producing a disproportionate amount of the spam bugs. Ian mentioned on IRC that the WHATWG comment form has more automated anti-spam measures, so that's one additional possibility. I also think moderating the comments before they turn into bugs is reasonable if automated measures prove to be insufficient.

Regards,
Maciej