Re: Executing script-inserted external scripts in insertion order

From: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 09:53:09 -0700
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Cc: Getify <getify@gmail.com>, public html <public-html@w3.org>, Tony Gentilcore <tonyg@chromium.org>
On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 1:40 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:
> It would be great if IE or WebKit developers commented on whether this carrot will work. Because if they really consider the carrot compelling, we can standardize that script-inserted async=false external scripts execute in insertion order (relative to themselves only--not relative to script-inserted inline scripts or parser-inserted scripts).

Yeah, I don't know.  I don't mean to be negative, it just seems like a
really obscure feature.  It's tough enough to educate people to use
async or defer (and to get them to understand the difference!), and
those have massive performance benefits.

I've added tonyg to this thread.  He's been most closely involved with
asynchronous script execution in WebKit.  He might have more insight.

Adam