Re: Executing script-inserted external scripts in insertion order

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> On 10/8/10 12:52 PM, Adam Barth wrote:
>> I worry that figuring out when scripts execute is already pretty
>> complicated (e.g., with aync and defer).  I didn't follow how the
>> "ordered" property helps you solve the "labjs prevents Gecko from
>> complying with HTML5" problem.
>
> If the property existed, the HTML5 spec would say that "ordered" scripts
> need to execute in insertion order, while others execute as soon as they're
> ready.  Then labjs would set "ordered" on the scripts it uses, and get the
> behavior it wants, while most scripts out there would do what the spec says
> to do now.
>
> Was that really unclear from what Henri said?

Would Gecko run scripts without the "ordered" property as soon as they
were ready?  Wouldn't that break the sites that are using the existing
version of labjs?

I guess I don't see the connection between the first part of Henri's
message, where he talks about legacy UA-sniffing code that's blocking
him from implementing something in the spec, and the second part of
Henri's message, where he proposes a new feature to make new code more
awesome.

Adam