Re: Missing prose in tables section for tbody-less tables

From: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 11:54:23 +0200
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Cc: James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
Le 06/10/10 11:37, Simon Pieters a écrit :

>> 2. only in text/html?!? this is going to break the web.
>> I urge you to reconsider this.
>
> Why would it break the Web? It's what Opera, Mozilla and WebKit have
> always done in XHTML, and is what the XML spec requires.

Ok, 'break the web' was probably a bit too strong here. But having
tables in xhtml1 defined as

<!ELEMENT table
      (caption?, (col*|colgroup*), thead?, tfoot?, (tbody+|tr+))>

while they are defined as the following in HTML 4

<!ELEMENT TABLE - -
      (CAPTION?, (COL*|COLGROUP*), THEAD?, TFOOT?, TBODY+)>

has always been a flaw in the model, where xhtml1 tables cannot
be output in html4. html5 has decided to solve the issue allowing
the max instead of narrowing on the min. As an editor implementor,
this will drastically complexify my tables implementation. Instead
of always having a section container for a table row, I have to deal
with cases where such a container does not exist. grrrr, to say the
least.

</Daniel>