Re: Change Proposal: Reflect Changes to <param> Elements Live

From: Joe D Williams <joedwil@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 12:48:24 -0700
To: "Doug Schepers" <schepers@w3.org>, <public-html@w3.org>
> SUMMARY
>
> The <param> child element of the <object> element should expose any
> changes made in the DOM to the resource referenced by the <object>
> element.

Great suggestion for the specification! I think mention of 'sandbox'
or some level of author-defined security should be discussed with
this. For example, (if no sandboxing?) then it is reasonable to assume
that a list of <param> name-value pairs are live. Setters from the
host DOM may send updated values (meobj.name="value";), and host DOM
<script> can read current values and attach listener-callbacks for
execution by the host DOM if the value is changed by the <object>
internals. The <object> ignores any param.name it does not recognize.

I have made some comments previously on this topic (May 31, 2009) and
repeat: "Speaking as an author-implementor, that is an author
attempting to implement content using an embedded scriptable object
plugin player, all I ask is that the W3C host browser makes it so that
the user of the html5 tool is presented with an experience I can have
some hope of predicting."

Things have improved overall since then and defining the 'liveness' of
<parm name=string value=string>
in detail wil be a great step forward.

Thanks to All and Best Regards,
Joe