Re: hgroup and ARIA outline in ISSUE-129 [Was: SSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - chnage proposal and replacement spec text]

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 11:29 PM, Doug Jones <doug_b_jones@me.com> wrote:
> There may be a clarification of the spec in order. According to the 4.4.11 Headings and Sections
>
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/sections.html#headings-and-sections
>
> "The first element of heading content in an element of sectioning content represents the heading for that section. Subsequent headings of equal or higher rank start new (implied) sections, headings of lower rank start implied subsections that are part of the previous one. In both cases, the element represents the heading of the implied section."
>
> In the last last sentence, I take 'the element' to refer to the first element.

Mmm. I don't think there's any contradiction here?

The interior of an hgroup element is not sectioning content:

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/content-models.html#sectioning-content

An hgroup itself counts as an "element of heading content":

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/content-models.html#heading-content

A hX element within an hgroup can therefore never be the "first
element of heading content", since the containing hgroup came first.

Within heading content (i.e. within an hgroup), hX elements have
different semantics.

<article>
  <!-- We are in sectioning content -->
  <hgroup><!-- First element of heading content begins. -->
    <!-- We are in heading content -->
    <h2>Foo</h2>
    <h1><!-- First, highest-rank heading is the hgroup text -->Bar</h1>
    <h2>Baz</h2>
    <h1>Quux</h1>
  </hgroup>
</article>