Re: ACTION-127 (IANA rel regs that are currently deferred)

On 20/11/2010, at 12:27 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> during TPAC, the question was asked why the IANA Designated Experts do not simply register relations that aren't "finished" yet, and update when appropriate (see <http://www.w3.org/2010/11/04-html-wg2-minutes.html#action04> and <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/127>).
>
> The answer below is with my Designated Expert hat on (but I haven't really consulted with the other designated experts yet).
>
> First of all, it's not totally clear why it does matter. The Designated Experts run an issue tracker, so as soon as a registration request is received and has not been rejected, the link relation name essentially is reserved.
>
> See <http://paramsr.us/tracker/>...
>
> Of the registration requests from this WG, currently eight haven't been registered yet, for various reasons:
>
> 1) first, index, last, up: there's a related open WG issue (<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/118>), and a change Proposal on the table to drop those (<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Nov/0042.html>)
>
> 2) external, sidebar, tag: the descriptions of these relation types either are totally vague or do not seem to reflect reality (there are various open bugs about those).

To clarify here -- it's not that they're vague, etc. that's causing us concern, it's that they might disappear; removing registry entries is awkward and we try to avoid it when possible.

> 3) pingback: this actually is a link relation defined somewhere else, and the Designated Expert wasn't convinced that the reference satisfies the registration requirement (*).

... and we've suggested that Ian publish the spec either as a W3C Note, on microformats.org, or on whatwg.org.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/