Re: ACTION-196 (IANA rel regs that are currently deferred)

On Nov 19, 2010, at 5:31 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (resending with the correct ACTION number and URI; sorry for the noise)
>
> during TPAC, the question was asked why the IANA Designated Experts do not simply register relations that aren't "finished" yet, and update when appropriate (see <http://www.w3.org/2010/11/04-html-wg2-minutes.html#action04> and <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/196>).
>
> The answer below is with my Designated Expert hat on (but I haven't really consulted with the other designated experts yet).
>
> First of all, it's not totally clear why it does matter. The Designated Experts run an issue tracker, so as soon as a registration request is received and has not been rejected, the link relation name essentially is reserved.
>
> See <http://paramsr.us/tracker/>...

Is this tracker permanent and reliable enough that it would be appropriate for the HTML5 spec to reference it? For example, can we expect it to continue for as long as the registry does, even if the set of Designated Experts changes? The domain appears to be registered to an individual rather than an organization. The official registry seems to consider personal domain registration as evidence that a Web site should not be considered "permanent and readily available".

In any case, if this is a persistent resource that we can count on, it would be a good idea to mention it in the Change Proposal, and cite it in the HTML5 spec if that proposal is adopted. If it is just a volunteer service that could go away at any time, then I am not sure we should consider it part of the registry.

Regards,
Maciej