Wanting to understand the load event for inline scripts

From: Travis Leithead <travil@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 22:33:55 +0000
To: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
Ian & Co.,

IE9 has implemented the behavior for firing a load event on script elements, even script elements that are inline scripts only, which I believe is correct per step 5 of the "Executing a script block" -> "If the load was successful" steps: "Otherwise, the script is internal; queue a task to fire a simple event named load at the script element."

In my latest testing, no other browser implements this behavior. We have yet to see a compatibility problem from this behavior, but we did get a customer bug filed against this behavior :-)

My question is simple: What is the justification for this behavior in the spec?

Follow-up question: Will other browser venders implement this behaviors also?

-Travis