Re: HTML5 Profiles - First Editors Draft

On Sat, 22 May 2010 11:38:43 -0400
Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> The first draft of the HTML5 Profiles document is ready for feedback.
> It's a tiny spec, which will hopefully mean that reviews will be quick
> and we can decide whether to do a FPWD on it or kill it.

I support it in principle.

Scoped profiles for microformats would cause me personal aggravation as
it would require a lot of reworking for my microformat parser (which
currently uses profiles only on a document-wide basis), but it's a good
idea, so something I'd be prepared to support. It's potentially very
useful, especially in the case of transclusions, where you might grab a
snippet of HTML from a trusted API and insert it into your own page.

A few thoughts on the current draft:

* Currently @profile is only allowed on <head>, so there is a
  convention that profiles found on that element are allowed to
  apply to the entire document. Microformats currently use this,
  with profiles found on <head> applying to microformats which are
  pretty consistently used in <body>. GRDDL does too.

* The relationship to GRDDL needs to be clarified; should GRDDL
  processors continue to only look for profiles on <head> and ignore
  others? If profiles are found on other elements, should only the
  subtree be passed through the GRDDL transformation?

* "When processing attribute values, each URI must be processed from
  left to right" - firstly this is ambiguous, does it merely define
  a chronological order that processors must use (in which case, why
  rule out parallel processing?) or does it mean that profiles to the
  right over-rule profiles to the left in the case of conflicts? If the
  latter, this is consistent with the current RDFa Core 1.1 draft, but
  at odds with the XMDP specification which says that profiles to the
  left win in the case of conflicts. There is IIRC an open issue on the
  RDFa WG tracker about this.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>