RE: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update)

Hi, Leif, all:

Thanks Leif very much for considering a compromise.

I guess I'd love compromise, but I do not particularly like making the meta http-equiv entirely in error
because it is still being used by browser makers
-- I'd prefer a warning not an error message --
and truthfully I never have seen the reason you all have that it is a problem here;
(If it is a major problem I need data -- more than the following which I see as unproblematic
and showing a preference for meta http-equiv
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/tests-html-css/tests-language-declarations/results-language-declarations)
However I find it preferable to have the meta http-equiv an outright error rather than having it non-conforming to the http header.
The latter option is way too confusing I think though perhaps it would be better to hear from browser and application makers as far as the confusion issue goes -- since I worry most about confusion on their part.
(I'm not sure why as I am sure most know the standards as well as . . . so it's just questionable in terms of how they will try to make things work and what they will do for compatibility with existing content and applications --
so they not I will have to decide here I think  [not that I want to change my own content; I don't; but I set the html lang anyway; just so long as the browsers will parse my html content as it is I do not care about validator warnings or error messages)

For my part I'd like to see more affirmation of the lang= null attribute in the wording on content-language.
Otherwise I like Leif's previous proposal, but I will consider a compromise that does not start kicking out error-mesages,
but I'd love to hear from someone else.

Thanks!

Best,

--C. E. Whitehead