Re: comments on the polyglot spec

Sam Ruby writes:

> On 05/19/2010 05:47 AM, Smylers wrote:
>
> > Daniel Glazman writes:

> > > Henri... Nobody's editing html with php inside through a http
> > > pipe.  It's local storage
> >
> > Quite. So that's out of jurisdiction of any HTML spec.
>
> Looking at the charter[1], I don't see how you came to that
> conclusion.

To clarify, I mean it's the processing of PHP which makes a PHP file out
of HTML's jurisdiction, not that the file is local. Apologies for any
ambiguity.

If I have a stream of bytes, Y (maybe in a file, maybe not) which I'm
either distributing to others and claiming it is HTML or which I'm
processing with an HTML user-agent, then clearly Y comes under HTML's
jurisdiction.

But if I am automatically generating Y from a source file X (and the
software processing X is not an HTML user-agent) then the format of X is
purely my business; HTML simply doesn't care what the format of X is,
and is in no position to declare it valid, invalid, poorly punctuated,
boring, libellous, or anything else.

X could be rot13-ed HTML, which clearly isn't valid HTML. But so long as
my software correctly performs the rot13 translation in generating Y,
everything that needs to be HTML is HTML.

> [1] http://www.w3.org/2002/05/html/charter

I'm pretty sure that isn't actually our charter ...

Smylers