RE: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update)

Hi.
Leif if it's o.k. with you I decided to suggest a few 'tweaks' in the English of your changes:

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/index.php?title=ChangeProposals/ContentLanguages&diff=6095&oldid=6019
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ContentLanguages

A.  Proofreading

* Summary Item 1

"continues to be legal"

=>
"continue to be legal"

{COMMENT:  "Multiple language tags" is a plural subject and needs a plural verb
such as "continue" not "continues"}
* * *

* Proposed spec changes, to section 4.2.5.3 Pragma directives/Replacement Two, 4th (last) par; 1rst two sentences

"  + The single pragma-set or header-set audience language is often identical with the most useful primary language declaration for the text of the document itself because audience language and document language will often be one and the same.
And this is also why it is allowed to function as fallback language information in this way.  "

=>
"  + Because audience language and document language will often be one and the same,
the single pragma-set or header-set audience language is often identical to the primary language declared for the text of the document itself in the document root element.
And this is why it is allowed to function as fallback language. "
{ COMMENT  general -- a bit wordy -- a few phrases seem redundant or excessive (for example, I cut 'most useful' in sentence one); Sentence 1 -- it's more clear that the "Because" clause modifies the whole sentence if it is placed first; also 'identical to' is more acceptable in both BE and AE than 'identical with' (at least I think so; see http://painintheenglish.com/?p=470)  Sentence 2; "also" is redundant when you use "And" I think -- since both mean "in addition". }

* * *
* * *
COMMENTS ON CONTENT

" <blockquote>   + If none of the node's ancestors, including the root element, have either attribute set, but there is a '''single pragma-set audience language''' set, then that is the language of the node. If there is no '''single pragma-set audience language''' set, then language information from a higher-level protocol (such as a '''single HTTP header-set audience language'''), if any, must be used as the final fallback language instead. In the absence of any such language information, and in cases where the higher-level protocol reports multiple '''audience''' languages, the language of the node is unknown, and the corresponding language tag is the empty string.</blockquote> "

{ COMMENT:  much, much improved! Thanks Leif and Fantasai!  (: is my smiley face; I have not seen it in use much ? }

Best,

--C. E. Whitehead

cewcathar@hotmail.com