Re: HTML charter and Timed tracks

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Robert O'Callahan
<robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>>
>> I gather that there is some interest with Opera[1] for this feature.  I am
>> curious if there are other browser vendors interested in implementing this
>> in the near term, or if there is sufficient interest in participating in the
>> development of the standard -- where participation can be any level from
>> reviewing to writing tests to implementing it. Similarly I would be
>> interested if there was any vendors were indicated that they would NOT
>> implement this for any reason.
>

> Sylvia Pfeiffer has contributed to WebSRT and Mozilla has been supporting
> with a grant, so we're already participating.
>
> Rob

Just to clarify: I have only contributed to the requirements
collection for an external text associations format, not actually to
the definition of WebSRT itself. Also, I am not currently under
contract by Mozilla, nor have been since December last year. But I am
most certainly going to be interested in analysing the format further
and implementing demonstrations of its use to see how many of the
requirements that I can see will be met by it. It deserves a fair go,
but so do other formats.

But be that as it is, HTML5 has a need to specify a mechanism to
associate external text associations for media resources. Such
external text associations come in a file format. And browsers have to
implement parsing for such a format and a decision has to be made to
implement support for such a format. So, the format question is one
that HTML5 has to consider one way or another.

There are indeed multiple formats out there and WebSRT adds another
one. Even if we decide that WebSRT is the format of choice for browser
vendors to implement, and we decide that it is part of our charter to
do so, I'd like to reconfirm that this does not imply that the format
has to be defined inside the HTML5 specification. I am personally
convinced that it is more helpful to the adoption of WebSRT by
non-browser applications and non-Web communities to have the format as
a separate specification.

Regards,
Silvia.