Re: Timed tracks

On May 5, 2010, at 2:33 PM, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:

>>> Nowhere did we say that the HTML5 specification should include its
>>> own
>>> captioning format in that discussion.
>>
>> I think the unsuitability of many existing formats for use on the Web
>> has been pretty well established during those discussions, so I'm not
>> sure what's objectionable here.
>
> I'm not objecting to exploring new formats or new versions of existing
> formats, but I don't believe that the HTML5 specification should the
> definition of such thing. At the minimum, it should be in its
> document.

I think a separate document would be a good choice. Even if we define
a new caption format for use with HTML5 <video>, people will want to
use the new format outside HTML5, and people will want to use HTML5
with other caption formats. Thus, the interface between WebSRT and
HTML5 has to be generic enough to work with other formats or other
embedders anyway. Putting it in a separate document should help guide
the right abstraction boundary.

Cheers,
Maciej