Re: HTML-A11Y Task Force Recommendation: ISSUE-31 Missing Alt

Hi Janina,

>> > I would be happy to collaborate with you and others on this, Jonas.
>>
>> I started a change proposal for this. It is at:
>> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ImgElement20100504
>>
> I'm confused by your actions here. You are on record voting for the
> consensus proposal of the Task Force:
> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/44061/20040422_text-alt/results
>
> Indeed, you wrote it. And, you lobbied passionately and effectively for
> a missing alt to be an error condition, and not a conformance
> warning--reminding us that WAI consensus guidance called for an error
> condition:
>
> So, I'm confused here. Have you changed your mind now? How are we to
> understand your actions here?

I haven't changed my mind on the core issue.

Any image lacking an alt would be an error with what Jonas proposed
and I wrote up in:
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ImgElement20100504
I can live with that.

Any image lacking a text alternative would be an error in what WAI CG
proposed and I wrote up in:
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ImgElement20090126
I can live with that.

I can live with either one. I can not live with it being a warning in
either case.

I also agree with Jonas that
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ImgElement20090126
is complex. The more we can simplify it the better.

This is an attempt to reach consensus. Any concerns that are raised,
should be acknowledged and resolved if possible.  I'd like to strive
to take into account everyone's concerns and try to resolve them
before any decision is made if possible.

Most importantly, I'd like to encourage an environment in which
everyone is respected and all contributions are valued. People feel
respected when everyone listens, when their ideas are taken seriously.
Respect for concerns promotes the kind of environment necessary for
developing consensus. Through consensus, we are not only working to
achieve better solutions, but also to promote the growth of community
and trust.

Best Regards,
Laura

--