Re: Possible *third* proposal for ISSUE-41 Distributed Extensibility

On 03/30/2010 10:54 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Mar 30, 2010, at 17:13, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>> I write scripts all the time that parse HTML pages.  I write
>> scripts all the time that produce HTML pages.  These scripts aren't
>> written in JavaScript nor do they run in a browser, nor do does it
>> make sense for the results need to be standardized.
>>
>> At times I find it handy to have what I stated above "attributes
>> that ARE intended for use by software that is independent of the
>> site that uses the attributes".
>
> I see I paid too much attention to the word "independent".

I said independent, and I even repeated it.  I meant it.

I did say I produce pages.  And that I consume pages.  I never meant to
imply that all of the pages I consume were produced by me.

> If you write the content and the scripts to consume them, I wouldn't
> consider the scripts to be "independent" of the HTML.

Most of the pages I parse are not written by me.

License information is an example of annotation that is added to web
pages which is meant to be parsed software that is independent of the
site.  Some believe that RDFa is the way to capture such annotation.
Some believe that Microdata is the way to capture such.  I don't happen
to believe that there is one true way.

- Sam Ruby