Re: Possible *third* proposal for ISSUE-41 Distributed Extensibility

On 03/30/2010 09:41 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Mar 22, 2010, at 16:26, Sam Ruby wrote:

>>> So the primary use case is Ubiquity-XForms?
>>
>> Sorry, I was unclear.  My bad.
>>
>> I see the primary use case is the exactly one that is excluded by
>> custom data attributes: specifically "attributes that ARE intended
>> for use by software that is independent of the site that uses the
>> attributes"
>
> What does that leave as the primary use case? (Your formulation seems
> to imply that you now have a primary use case in mind as opposed to
> the enabling "features without use cases"[1].)
>
> You already said that experimental browser features or browser
> extensions aren't the primary use case[2].
>
> I was trying to think of cases where custom markup isn't consumed by
> a browser and isn't consumed by JavaScript running inside a browser.
> The case that I thought about first was search in general and
> enterprise search in particular, because Web search features at least
> should presumably be standardized. However, Microdata already
> addresses the search use case. Did you have the enterprise search use
> case in mind?
>
> What's left? Round-tripping the state of an HTML editor?[3]

I write scripts all the time that parse HTML pages.  I write scripts all
the time that produce HTML pages.  These scripts aren't written in
JavaScript nor do they run in a browser, nor do does it make sense for
the results need to be standardized.

At times I find it handy to have what I stated above "attributes that
ARE intended for use by software that is independent of the site that
uses the attributes".

Personally, I expect the prohibition against data-attributes being used
by such software to be widely and willfully violated.

- Sam Ruby