Re: AuthConfReq: Presentational Markup

On Mar 29, 2010, at 12:43 PM, Aryeh Gregor wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
> wrote:
>> Banning <font> in general, rather than, say, only when used in a
>> way that
>> actually harms accessibility, is analogous to this reasoning. By
>> having the
>> blanket ban, we avoid the presumed negative externality, without
>> having to
>> closely inquire about the particular circumstances of each use. The
>> latter
>> requires too much judgment for a conformance checker.
>
> Why does this not imply that style="" should be an error as well?  The
> spec gives reasons for why not all inline presentational markup is
> banned, but I see no reason given for why only style="" was kept, and
> not other presentational markup as well.

It does try to give a reason; you could question whether it is a good
reason, but it's there. I assume from your wording that you overlooked
this rather than merely finding it inadequate:

"The only remaining presentational markup features in HTML are the
style attribute and the style element. Use of the style attribute is
somewhat discouraged in production environments, but it can be useful
for rapid prototyping (where its rules can be directly moved into a
separate style sheet later) and for providing specific styles in
unusual cases where a separate style sheet would be inconvenient.
Similarly, the style element can be useful in syndication or for page-
specific styles, but in general an external style sheet is likely to
be more convenient when the styles apply to multiple pages."
<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#presentational-markup>

Regards,
Maciej