Re: AuthConfReq: Presentational Markup

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 01:06:44 +0100
To: Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>
Cc: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
Karl Dubost, Sat, 27 Mar 2010 19:50:05 -0400:
> Le 27 mars 2010 à 19:37, Leif Halvard Silli a écrit :
>> <b> is allowed per HTML5. Should it only permit <strong>?
> Either way, I do not mind.
> my personal preference: strong is enough.

I thought, in aural media, there would be no <strong> if everything was
<strong>. <b> has been defined as a "semantic" element in HTML5 - says
Ian's new conformance text. Though I don't know if saying that "it is
now semantic" helps e.g. screen reader users though.
>> I also think that it is possible to transmit, in a screenreader, that
>> the text is striked over.
> <strike title="this text is striked for reason x">blabla</strike>

@title apparently isn't nearly not used/seldom presented in aural
media. But otherwise, <strike title="irony"> seems better than <del

>>> One size doesn't fit all. Some users need a markup validity check
>>> feedback, some users are just not tech savy and in this case, the
>>> system *should* take care of it. Unfortunately for me, here, I used
>>> should. :)
>> Should the commenter in this case not have been allowed put a strike
>> over the text?
> Not sure I understand the question.
> It depends on how you design the language. Is strike permitted in the
> language?

Yes, the use case is a language were <strike> is permitted. The
question then is: what advantage would there be in possibly forbidding
use of <strike>. Or if - and why - there would be an advantage in the
use of <del> or <span>. If span was used, then aural and text terminal
users would probably not get any info.

> 1. If strike element is forbidden/obsolete in the html language.
>    Not allowed
> 2. If strike element is authorized but as the Web site
> publisher/developer, we think the element is not appropriate in the
> context of the input form.
>    Not allowed

Having fewer elements can of course be an advantage, but that means
that more semantics is glued on the same elements.
leif halvard silli