Re: ISSUE-89 Change Proposal

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Removing this section prevents possible future confusion about what is
>> a requirement, and what is one suggestion out of the pool of possible
>> suggestions. This change also ensures that the best markup to use for
>> specific purposes is allowed to develop organically, and the best
>> practices emerge naturally.
>
> Can't this requirement be fulfilled more easily, and while maintaining
> the benefits of having the guide that authors requested (and that I
> find useful), by just adding an introduction to the section to
> explicitly state that these are merely suggested patterns to aid
> authors, and should not be construed as requiring any specific markup
> for these concepts?
>
> Basically, attempting to divine the most sane and accessible way to
> mark up certain types of data can be non-trivial.  Especially if
> you're trying to do something quickly and don't devote much thought to
> it, it's easy to do something weird, crazy, or unaccessible.  Having
> these idioms for particularly tricky types of content is a good thing.
>  If there are any concerns about this being taken as more than
> recommendations, let's just make that clear, rather than removing it
> entirely and leaving authors to have to redevelop these from scratch
> over and over again.
>
> ~TJ

Frankly, I would rather trust in the best practices established by
people who create web sites for a living, rather than people who
primarily work on standards, or develop browsers. Give folks the
rules, and then stand back, let them do their own thing. We're not
nannies.

No, this has no place in an HTML specification. If you want to write a
zero change proposal, go for it.

Shelley