Re: Bug 7034

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 03:56:31 -0700 (PDT)
To: HTMLwg WG <public-html@w3.org>
Cc: James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
"Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:

> Personally, I'd be more inclined to allow more
> interoperably-implemented presentational pre-existing markup features
> as valid to allow authors to use an HTML5 validator as a development
> aid when adding HTML5 features to pre-existing content that has
> interoperably supported legacy cruft in it.

Based on IRC discussion, I feel I should clarify:
I'm not suggesting that all interoperably-implemented presentational pre-existing features should be valid as a blanket policy. However, I think it would be worthwhile to allow things that are used so much that not allowing them makes validators too noisy for use with legacy markup--but only when the harm arising from the use of legacy markup features is directed mostly to the maintainer of the markup and not to the users.

Tweaking table borders in CSS vs. tweaking them in presentational attributes is probably an issue where the harm is directed at the page author.
Using <font size> most likely means that <h1>, <h2>, etc. aren't being used, which is a case where the harm is directed at users of non-conventional browsing software.

Henri Sivonen