Re: Default value of "preload" attribute

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> > The default value of "preload" is currently "auto".
>
> Actually the spec says the default is UA-defined. "auto" is only a
> suggestion.

Indeed, thanks.

I actually think that leaving the missing value default up to the UA is a
mistake. The difference between "auto" and "metadata" for user experience is
often going to be significant. I wonder if other implementors actually want
their missing value default to be "auto"?

One more thing ... the resource fetch algorithm says that when
preload="metadata" UAs should stop loading after the first frame
(HAVE_CURRENT_DATA). Shouldn't that value be named "firstframe" (or
something else) then? It's pretty confusing to have preload="metadata" not
stop after the metadata has loaded.

Rob
53:5-6]