Re: Possible *third* proposal for ISSUE-41 Distributed Extensibility

On Mar 18, 2010, at 3:17 PM, Ennals, Robert wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I’m thinking of writing up a *third* proposal for ISSUE-41.
>
> This one is strongly based on Liam Quinn’s earlier proposal, but
> tries to fix some of the issues that people raised with this. The
> main change is that while Liam’s proposal allows a document to link
> to whatever namespace mapping file it likes, this proposal has a
> single such namespace mapping file maintained by the W3C, and every
> user agent is required to maintain a local copy, which it
> periodically updates using whatever vendor-specific technique is
> appropriate.

Personally, and in my non-chairing capacity, I like this proposal less
either of your other two. In particular, I don't like the idea of
making parsing behavior dependent on an asynchronously updated
registry. Also, I don't like the idea of a single point of failure
that, in case of a bad update, could break the whole Web (and other
Apple applications such as Mail, iChat and iTunes).

Regards,
Maciej