Re: TWO Change proposals for ISSUE-41 : Distributed Extensibility

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 03:04:28 -0700
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "Ennals, Robert" <robert.ennals@intel.com>, HTMLwg <public-html@w3.org>
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

On Mar 17, 2010, at 2:56 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:

>> Just one more word: "canvas".
>
> Considering the history of HTML and XHTML proprietary extensions,
> I'd say
> "canvas" was a success story.

I suspect canvas would have gone more smoothly if the initial
implementation had been something like <div -webkit-canvas> instead of
<canvas> (with Gecko perhaps adding -moz-canvas and eventually
converging on <canvas> as a standard). But it also likely would have
gone more smoothly if we'd subjected our design to public review
before shipping it in a GM release. It's hard for me to say at this
point if both mechanisms would have been necessary.

On the other hand, I think making it <webkit:canvas xmlns="http://webkit.org/ns/canvas
"> would likely not have made things smoother on the whole and might
have made things worse.

Regards,
Maciej