RE: Re-registration of text/html

hsivonen@iki.fi wrote:
>I believe it's more productive to discuss how content labeled as text/html must be processed by new software and how
>authors should use the text/html label is new authoring than to discuss what content labeled as text/html "is".
>
>New software must process text/html content according to HTML5 (until HTML5 is superseded in the future by a newer backwards-compatible spec >at which point then-new software must process text/html content according to that spec instead).

Do you mean ALL software that processes such content or only UA's?

I ask because this goes to the related discussion in the "what's the language of the document" thread where there seems to be a clear division on whether servers that serve up HTML(5) are also required to process it according to the same rules or (to quote Ian) " Servers are free to use whatever mechanisms and conventions they want to get whatever effects they want on their end".

Perhaps a common solution would address both?

Leonard