Re: Re-registration of text/html

"Sam Ruby" <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> >
> > The XHTML2 working group is meant to soon (re)announce that XHTML
> 1.1
> > documents can be served as 'text/html'.
>
> That will make for a rather 'interesting' Last Call period then.  I
> would advise anybody who wishes to make such a recommendation to seek
> wide input prior to that point.

So far, the XHTML2 WG has put most of its MIME type advice in a document that's not on the REC track and, thus, not subject to mandatory Last Call review.

Personally, I think WG Notes should be ignored as binding precedent for REC track publications, because otherwise, Notes would provide a loophole for subverting the REC Process. That is to say, I think the XHTML Media Types WG Note should be disregarded when deliberating what HTML5 should say about text/html (even if the XHTML2 WG published a second edition of a REC that normatively referenced the Note).

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi