Re: Re-registration of text/html

"Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:

> for serving as text/html? (Whatever we say, it'll continue to be so
> served.)
> >>
> >> Yes.

> remains?

> HTML4 extend to HTML 2.0? If not, why not?
> >>
> >> I do believe in that, but it needs to be done carefully -- for
> instance, by only removing things that have been deprecated before,
> and by adding alternatives when something gets deprecated.
> >
> > What about the concrete badness question?
>
> I don't think any concrete badness would happen, except that people
> continuing to serve valid-HTML4-but-invalid-HTML5 would be in
> violation
> of the applicable specs.
>
> On the other hand, what concrete badness would ensue if we decide to
> allow HTML 4.01 as well?

Authors could be mislead into using a spec that is known to be vague as a reference. But then, to believe that that's concrete badness, one needs to believe that authors pay attention to MIME type registrations...

(I expect UA implementors to track HTML5 for implementing text/html consumption regardless of what the MIME type registration says.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi