Re: FPWD of Additional Requirements for Bidi in HTML

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> Hi Richard and I18N WG,
>
> On Mar 5, 2010, at 3:29 AM, Richard Ishida wrote:
>
>> HTML folks,
>>
>> Just to let you know the expectations of the i18n WG wrt this
>> document[1] which was published yesterday.  We do not expect the HTML
>> WG to review and comment on it just yet.
>>
>> The document is still in early draft, and was published to facilitate
>> ongoing feedback from bidi experts and i18n folks. It also contains
>> some explicitly identified open issues.
>>
>> The plan is to obtain feedback as soon as possible from bidi experts
>> and internationalization folks, then issue a new draft that
>> incorporates the results of those discussions.  Only at that point do
>> we plan to put the proposals to the HTML community and seek their
>> comments and commitment. Depending on the amount of discussion that
>> takes place, we would hope to publish the second draft in about a
>> month from now.
>>
>> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-html-bidi-20100304/
>
> It's a little quirky to deliver feedback on the HTML WG's deliverables
> in the form of a Working Draft developed elsewhere, and it might have
> been better to make us more aware of this effort ahead of time. (I, for
> one, was surprised to see  seventh Working Draft published with ours and
> was puzzled that I hadn't seen it before.)

I don't believe that it has been established that bidi is an HTML WG
deliverable.  All that I have seen stated is "Seven Documents Related to
HTML Published".

http://www.w3.org/News/2010#entry-8735

> That being said, as long as the HTML WG gets the feedback in the end,
> I'm not too concerned with the process of developing it.

I would modify that statement: as long as the groups are working
together, I'm not concerned about which group publishes it.

>  From reading over this draft, it seems to me that most of this feedback
> is ready to be delivered to the HTML WG right now. I see many specific
> points that identify a specific problem in great detail, outline why the
> current state of the spec doesn't work, and propose at lest one workable
> solution. That's more than enough data to go into a bug report.
>
> I would expect that bug reports on these issues would most likely
> resolved expeditiously to everyone's satisfaction, and without any great
> controversy. The only potential problems I see are with details of
> syntax(*). I think those are best resolved within the HTML WG. I also
> suspect some of the comments may be issues for CSS, not HTML, for
> example the treatment of list markers. HTML completely defers to CSS on
> list rendering. Either way, it would be good to identify those kinds of
> issues ASAP rather than continuing to develop in a silo.
>
> If the I18N WG would like these issues addressed before Last Call, I
> strongly recommend delivering the feedback to the HTML WG as soon as
> possible, ideally in the form of bug reports, one per distinct issue.

Against which component would such bugs be filed?

What I see published for bidi seems to meet the criteria for a
vendor-neutral applicable specification, as described by section 2.2.2
of the HTML5 Working Draft.

Given that this document has been approved for publication as a FPWD, I
would suggest that for the moment the right approach is that technical
comments follow the process defined in the draft itself: namely, "Please
send comments on this document to public-i18n-bidi@w3.org", and that
procedural arguments over venue (e.g., "I think those are best resolved
within the HTML WG") be directed to the Interaction Domain lead.

> Regards,
> Maciej
>
> * - Examples of potential syntactic quibbles: (1) It would probably be
> better for the "bdi" attribute to act like a normal HTML boolean
> attribute where only presence or absence is relevant, not the value; (2)
> the name "bdi" is a bit obscure for a global attribute and may be prone
> to typos; (3) "submit_dir" does not match the usual conventions for HTML
> attribute naming. I raise these not to suggest changes to the draft but
> rather to point out that the HTML WG needs to review these issues and
> should do so ASAP.

I do encourage members of the HTML WG to review the draft, and report
any issues that they find.

- Sam Ruby