Re: Color Management in HTML5?

On Friday 2010-03-05 00:08 -0800, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> Just to report on what Safari does: we colormatch images that are
> tagged with an explicit colorspace, but we treat CSS colors and
> colors in untagged images as being in the device color space
> (instead of treating as sRGB). This seems to give a good balance
> between performance for the common case and color-correctness for
> cases where precise color is desired.

Gecko does this too (I think starting in Firefox 3.5?), but we got
quite a few complaints about it, and I'd like to change it.

It has the significant disadvantage that the relationships between
colors in different parts of the same page can be different
depending on the device (when a page has both tagged images and
other colors).

I think we should move towards treating CSS colors (and untagged
images) as sRGB, as CSS1, CSS2.1, and css3-color require.

-David