Re: Change Proposal for ISSUE-101 (us-ascii-ref)

On 03.03.2010 23:31, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> Team,
>
> Please advise.
>
> On Mar 3, 2010, at 12:35 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>
>> I assume that W3C has a policy of that all W3C recommendations has to
>> be freely available. Thus I don't think having normative dependencies
>> on non-free specifications could be allowed.
>
> Would it be against W3C policy to have a normative dependency on a
> specification that is not freely available?

How is that material different from citing ISO-8601 (which HTML5 does)?
Or citing other specs that have normative reference to specs that aren't
"freely" available, such as IETF STD 68?

That being said, I would *love* if there was a good "official" online
reference for ASCII, but as far as I can't tell there isn't (unless we
decide to like ECMA-006). Citing something else which is online but
isn't a proper reference in any case is no solution.

Best regards, Julian