Re: CfC: Adopt ISSUE-101 us-ascii-ref Change Proposal to replace ASCII reference

"Leif Halvard Silli" <xn--mlform-iua@målform.no> wrote:

> Henri Sivonen, Wed, 23 Jun 2010 13:37:44 +0300:
>
> > Rationale
> >
> > To put spec readers ahead of theoretical purity, spec references
> > should be followable in a browser without paywalls when feasible. In
>
> > the case of ASCII, it is feasible.
>
> The suggested ECMA pdf meets this rationale.

An ECMA PDF is not in Julian's Change Proposal. See point #2 below for explanation why I'm not engaging in discussion about the relative merits of an ECMA PDF.

> Given the above, I don't understand what your proposal is about. It
> seems like an indifferent change proposal.

It is about two things:
 1) Not pointing to paywalled or non-Web specs when non-paywalled Web sources with the relevant information exist.
 2) Not bikeshedding trivialities wasting the group's and the editor's time but instead upholding the editor's discretion.

See also
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jun/0404.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jun/0408.html

I think it's a failure of the Decision Process that something like ISSUE-101 can be an ISSUE.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi