Re: Change proposal for ISSUE-85

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 02:04:47 -0700
To: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, public-html@w3.org, public-html-request@w3.org
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Steven Faulkner
<faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi Jonas,
>>He has suggested to issue a warning when someone does something wrong,
>>yes. But again, no one has suggested removing anything.
> The spec currently states
> "Conformance checkers are encouraged to phrase errors..."
>
> so they will be reported as errors not warnings.

Sure, but an "error" from a conformance checker is still just a
warning to the author. It doesn't affect what happens in browser or
any other types of (non-validating) UAs.

will report an error, but browsers will still do their utmost to
render that as we think the author intended it to be rendered.

I.e. we discourage such use, but we don't punish it.

/ Jonas