Re: CfC: Adopt ISSUE-101 us-ascii-ref Change Proposal to replace ASCII reference

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 17:51:17 +0200
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
CC: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On 15.06.2010 17:36, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> On 2010-06-15 13:05, Sam Ruby wrote:
>> We have a change proposal to replace the reference to RFC 1345 to a
>> reference to an ANSI or ISO spec that defines ASCII, such as
>> [ANSI.X3-4.1986]:
>>
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Mar/0084.html
>>
>> At the present time, we have no counter proposals. Accordingly, the
>> chairs are issuing a call for consensus at this time. If there are no
>> objections, we will adopt this change proposal on June 22, 2010.
>
> ANSI.X3.4-1986 is apparently nowhere to be found. I even tried searching
> the ANSI website and their Standards Store for it, and came up with
> nothing at all. Referencing a specification which, for all intents and
> purposes, is effectively non-existent and unavailable in any form would
> not be useful. (It's probably printed and hidden in some archive
> somewhere, but still out of reach of most people).

Nor is citing something that doesn't define it.

Anyway, for all practical purposes everybody knows what US-ASCII is, so
I doubt that it makes any difference whether the referenced document is
available on-line or not.

If you go back to the original thread, several alternative documents
were mentioned (see
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Mar/0103.html>),
which would be equally acceptable and available online.

> This issue should be left up to the discretion of the editor to either
> leave it as a reference to RFC 1345 or change it to an alternative,
> publicly available reference.

The editor had several months to do so and didn't. What makes you think
he will unless there's a WG decision?

Best regards, Julian