Re: aside and figure elements

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 13:05:25 -0500
To: Bruce Lawson <brucel@opera.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Shelley Powers <shelleyp@burningbird.net>, Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hi Bruce,

>> I couldn't accept that; it's throwing the baby out with the bath water.
>> I'd rather some ambiguity between aside and figure in edge cases than the
>> inability to have a video or a data table as an illustrative figure.

Hmmm. You said, "a video or a data table".  In the singular.  Is that
the key, Bruce? What do you think of restricting figure to a single
element as content to help simplify? Most of the definitions that I
looked at back in December [1] refer to "a figure" in the singular and
have singular content. Does figure need to be a grouping mechanism? It
seems that is where we are getting stuck.

Best Regards,
Laura
[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Dec/0016.html
--