Re: WG Decision: Publish six heartbeat drafts, as well as Polyglot, Alt Techniques as FPWDs

From: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 12:35:28 +0100
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
Hi sam,
since the working group have agreed to publish
HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives:

It contains normative author conformance requirements and informative
advice,examples and references which are meant as a replacement for
the content in the sections from: Requirements for providing text to act as an alternative for images
up to and including General guidelines

I think would be prudent and appropriate if both documents (HTML5 and
HTML5: alt) provided clear neutral information about the existance of
the other and how they relate.

For the HTML5 spec I suggest that such information be placed at the
start of section ' Requirements for providing text to act as an
alternative for images'
and for the alt spec, in the status section.

On 2 June 2010 17:44, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> This call passes.  Anne: please update the html4-differences.
> - Sam Ruby
> On 05/18/2010 02:39 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
>> This is a Call for Consensus (CfC) to publish new revisions of the
>> following documents in accordance with the Working Group Heartbeat
>> requirements:
>> HTML 5: http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/
>> HTML+RDFa: http://dev.w3.org/html5/rdfa/
>> HTML Microdata: http://dev.w3.org/html5/md/
>> HTML Canvas 2D Context: http://dev.w3.org/html5/2dcontext/
>> HTML: The Markup Language: http://dev.w3.org/html5/markup/
>> and to publish as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD) the following
>> documents:
>> HTML/XHTML Compatibility Authoring Guidelines:
>> http://dev.w3.org/html5/html-xhtml-author-guide/html-xhtml-authoring-guide.html
>> HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives:
>> http://dev.w3.org/html5/alt-techniques/
>> Additionally, and as we have done with previous republications of the
>> HTML5 draft, the chairs would like to ask Anne to update the HTML5 diffs
>> from HTML4 to reflect the latest changes.
>> http://dev.w3.org/html5/html4-differences/
>> Silence will be taken to mean there is no objection, but positive
>> May 26th, this resolution will carry.
>> Considerations to note:
>> - As a First Public Working Draft, this publication will trigger patent
>> policy review.
>> - As a Working Draft publication, the document does not need not be
>> complete, to meet all technical requirements, or to have consensus on
>> the contents.
>> - Objections may be made on specific documents but not on others.
>> Counting the differences document, there are effectively eight different
>> documents under consideration at this time.
>> - Sam Ruby

with regards

Steve Faulkner
Technical Director - TPG Europe