Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-91: Removing the aside Element

From: Shelley Powers <shelleyp@burningbird.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 17:45:55 -0500
To: public-html@w3.org
The co-chairs will decide as they will, but I find the written decisions
to be weak--though not surprising, as I don't believe any of my change
proposals will meet with success.

The written decisions boil down to: the browser companies want them,
they'll implement them, and therefore the issue is moot.

Neither of the decisions addresses the other HTML audiences, such as web
developers, designers, tech writers, tool builders, and so on. That
Henri says, "I object to making the WG fail to deliver to Web authors by
removing the element, because I think this author needs deserves to be
addressed" is somehow taken as an ultimate truth is, well, ludicrous.
That a statement that is so broad as to be virtually meaningless is
given such strength as an objection is astonishing.

It shows that the decisions were made even before the survey, and the
co-chairs picked among the arguments, as justification.

Shelley