Re: ISSUE-101: us-ascii-ref - Straw Poll for Objections

Maciej Stachowiak, Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:30:21 -0700:

> On Jul 22, 2010, at 5:36 AM, Simpson, Grant Leyton wrote:
>
>> I realize that it's late in the game now that a straw poll has gone
>> out, but is it possible to have a new change proposal that charts a
>> middle path between the ISO option and the ECMA option? Something to
>> the effect of having the reference to the ANSI/ISO spec but
>> providing an option to UA developers of using the ECMA spec due to
>> its better availability (provided, of course, they are actually
>> identical -- I have not compared them myself).
>
> I think it's a bit late to submit new proposals.
>
> Regarding whether the references are identical - I don't believe
> anyone in the Working has actually looked at a real copy of the
> ANSI/ISO spec. However, the ECMA spec claims it is also published as
> ISO/IEC 646, which Wikipedia says is the successor to ANSI X3.4
> (ASCII).
>
> Assuming this information is accurate, it would appear that ECMA-6 is
> the product of joint development with ISO/IEC, and is the version of
> the ISO spec for ASCII as published by ECMA. I'm not an expert on
> these topics,

Regarding the ECMA-6 versus (assumed to be unavailable online) ANSI
X3.4: I have been informed about the existence of RFC 20, which is a
plain text copy of ANSI X3.4:

	http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0020.txt

--
leif halvard silli