Re: video/@src vs application/octet-stream

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 3:33 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>wrote:

> Can somebody explain the rational for treating application/octet-stream the
> same way as absent media type information?
>
> Note, <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2046.html#rfc.section.4.5.1>:
>
>  The recommended action for an implementation that receives an
>> "application/octet-stream" entity is to simply offer to put the data in a
>> file, with any Content-Transfer-Encoding undone, or perhaps to use it as
>> input to a user-specified process.

It makes sense to offer to save data into a file when you navigate to a URI
returning an application/octet-stream. But I don't think it makes sense to
do this for <video> loads.

Since application/octet-stream is a generic response, and there isn't
anything useful one could do with it in a <video> context as-is, I think it
makes sense to allow or even require sniffing of that type in that context
and reap the benefits of some small amount of compatibility with deployed
content.

Rob