Re: video/@src vs application/octet-stream

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:41:24 -0400
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
On 7/19/10 11:33 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Can somebody explain the rational for treating application/octet-stream
> the same way as absent media type information?

Well, for one thing this is a common web server misconfiguration
(default configuration in IIS, last I checked).

In Gecko's case there's a technical issue too: type sniffing for
library before the <video> ever sees the data, so by the time it sees it
the data has been sniffed as application/octet-stream (due to not being
anything recognized, and not looking like text).

This last can, of course, be worked around in various ways on our end.