Re: What defines a "plugin"? WRT sandboxing?

Adam Barth wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 9:10 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>> Adam Barth wrote:
>>> The long term solution is to let plugins participate in the sandbox
>>> security model and then add an allow-plugins directive that re-enables
>>> them, which is where this thread started N thousand words ago.
>> Indeed.
>>
>> Can we please try to make process here?
>
> Yes, that would be much better than going in circles here.  :)
>
> There was another fellow from Adobe who was interested in helping with
> specifying the API.  Have you synched up with him?

Leonard, are you subscribed to plugin-futures yet?

>> I have started a Wiki page at <https://wiki.mozilla.org/Plugins:SandboxedPlugins>,
>
> That looks to be mostly requirements.  I think we need someone to step
> up and propose an API.  I can help, but it will take me a bit to get
> up to speed on NPAPI.  We should continue this discussion on
> plugin-futures.

I'd like to nail down what the requirements are first; this is, as
Maciej pointed out, necessary for the discussion how to specify the
allow-plugins attribute.

Mapping the requirements to an API proposal doesn't appear to be hard...

>> and I have also pointed
>> out that HTML5 currently doesn't have a solid definition of "plugin" (see
>> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jan/1275.html>) --
>> should I open a BugZilla issue for that?
>
> That can't hurt.  :)

I've done that in the meantime.

Best regards, Julian