Re: HTML WG F2F meeting

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>wrote:

>  The HTML WG co-chairs are discussing the possibility of holding a F2F
> meeting of the HTML WG in April or May this year.   We believe that holding
> such a F2F in the Bay Area would give the best attendance.
>

> Several other Interaction Domain WGs have expressed interest in scheduling
> F2F meetings at the same time and location as the HTML WG so that they/we
> could benefit from the same kind of joint meetings that we held at the TPAC
> meetings in Nov, 2009.  We are also investigating the possibly of
> co-locating such a F2F meeting with ECMA TC39 so that we could have another
> joint meeting to discuss joint topics like the WebIDL work.
>

> The Chairs are interested in feedback on holding this kind of F2F meeting.
> We intend to discuss this at this week’s WG meeting and then to hold a straw
> poll to gauge interest and attendance levels.
>

> /paulc

I'm not vehemently against F2F meetings, but the last TPAC meeting ended up
disrupting the work of this group for close to a month, especially when
followed by the Holiday. If the F2F would enable smoother operation of this
group, it might be worth it. However, you all had a chance for a F2F just a
couple of months ago--and I don't know that we all felt a new sense of
purpose and enablement from the meeting.

Regardless, I of course can't attend, can't afford such a trip. And that
leads to another issue: these meetings end up being the same people, those
who have the bucks, or whose companies have the bucks. The same group of
people establish a sense of familiarity, which may not necessarily be
beneficial to all members of the group.

Shelley