Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions)

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Leif Halvard Silli
> Shelley Powers, Sun, 24 Jan 2010 21:46:42 -0600:

>>> Examples like this make me think <dlabel> (or similar) would be
>>> better than <dsummary> or <summary>. It is true that the spec calls
>>> this portion the "summary", but the way this type of UI element is
>>> typically used, the short version is a label for the longer
>>> contents, not a summary of them. This is pretty obvious with the
>>> screenshot examples in the spec:
>>> <http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-details-element>.
>>> "General", "Name & Extension" and "Preview" are not summaries of
>>> anything, they are labels.
>>>

>> I have no objection to <dlabel>.
>
> There are _two_ conditions that *could* make <summary> work:
>
> (1) It is used for both <figure> and <details>
> (2) One solves the problem of the proposed <summary> element for

Are the problems <summary> for <table> listed somewhere, such that
someone can check if the new <summary> solves them.

Also wondering if aria-describedby already solves these problems. So
that now that aria-describedby is part of HTML5 we no longer need
<summary> for <table>

/ Jonas